Monday, June 30, 2008

here goes...

So I've been wanting to start a blog for some time now, but in all honesty, couldn't make a decision about a title. The title for any piece of writing sets the tone for the entire work. Choose the wrong title and you risk ruining whatever you write after that all-important one-liner. So, as you can see, it's a big committment; one I just could not make. But today I decided to throw caution to the wind and came up with what you see - "work in progress." I'm not entirely sure I'm convinced it's the perfect title, but I think it's appropriate for how I'm feeling and what I'm about these days.

I'm going to break it down, because that's something crazy people like me do. The phrase "work in progress" has all sorts of connotations - continually improving and changing, moving forward, incomplete, unfinished. But if you break it down you see the word "progress" on its own means so much more - according to http://www.m-w.com/ (one of my favorite go-to web sites back in my Lehigh copy editing days), progress as a noun is first defined as "a royal journey marked by pomp and pageant" or "an expedition, journey, or march through a region." Wow, talk about heavy. And as an intransitive verb? "To develop to a higher, better, or more advanced stage." Progress - Great. Wonderful. Perfect little word. So there it is - I am a work in progress and I work in progress. (more to come on that later.)

Just in case I didn't thrill you with the breakdown of my blog title and you're not impressed by my wit, here are some other options I considered:
  • cab driver, take me home
  • she'll chew you up
  • bareboned & crazy
  • she screams in silence

Any takers? Any other suggestions? I am open to them, but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced "work in progress" is perfect. Yeah. Progress. Aweeeeesome. (shoutout to mayanot 41!)

1 comment:

trans phatt said...

i fuckin lovvvve 'she'll chew you up' and 'bareboned & crazy.'

i'm a fan of both.

good luck!!

-- marjan