Wednesday, August 13, 2008

abc wednesday - d

Here I am ready for another round of ABC Wednesday...

D is for...


David Wright...of the New York Mets, just in case you're living in a hole and don't know who this sexy man is. I am a huge Mets fan, and who could not love the adorable David Wright? Not only is he a great baseball player, but he manages to look so good doing it. The race for National League East Champions is a tight one, and as of today, the Mets are only a game behind Philly. But the Marlins are only a half of a game behind us! Every game counts right now since the top three teams are neck and neck. I think the Mets can do it...at least I hope so! Let's go Mets!!


The Duomo in Florence, Italy - what a massive, amazing structure. Here you can see a photo of the Duomo, and some of Florence, from way up high that I took in March 2007, when Vic and I visited Liz over our Spring Break while she was studying abroad in Florence for the semester. It was really an incredible trip, and I woulnd't have changed a thing about it. We stayed the entire week in Florence, except for a day trip to Pisa, and we got to see and do everything. We never felt rushed or pressed for time, and we really just enjoyed every minute of the trip. It was great to have Liz as our personal tourguide. Since she had been in Florence since January, she knew how to get around, where to go, what to see and when to see it. She also was studying art history, so she was able to explain what we saw in the museums, but not in a boring or confusing way. We were also invited to have dinner with Liz's host mom, Vanna, at their apartment, which was certainly a special treat. We ate so much!! Really, we ate so much the entire trip - whole pizzas for lunch, huge bowls of pasta for dinner, capuccino and chocolate croissants every single morning, gelato every afternoon - we seemed to eat our way through Italy, and we were perfectly content doing so.


Here is a picture of the Duomo from inside. Climbing the Duomo was a very scary experience for me, combining my fear of heights and my claustrophobia. We didn't actually make it all the way to the top, which we sort of realized afterwards, but we were ready to make our way down after we got to the point where you can walk around the top of the building from inside - we had enough. So we didn't get the see the incredible views we heard about when you actually do make it to the top look-out point, but we had so many other amazing experiences and incredible views that it didn't really matter. Our week-long trip to Florence was something I definitely will never forget. I'm so glad Vic and I were able to go together and get a little taste of studying abroad, since neither of us chose to do the full semester-long study-abroad program. Florence was just my first little taste of Europe, and I can't wait to see even more.

11 comments:

Bear Naked said...

Thank you for the photos and story about the Duomo in Italy.
I also have a great fear of heights and probably would not be able to climb it.
Your breakfasts you had in Italy sound Delicious.
Wonderful choices for ABC Wednesday--D.

Bear((( )))

Tom said...

I've been in a big hole... but I know who he is now, and who he plays for.... and that strange game... is it like cricket? ;o)ha!

AphotoAday said...

In all of my 62 years I have never figured out what women are thinking when they think a guy is sexy...   I just don't see it... --But I CAN recognize sexy in female without any trouble, even at my advanced age of 61 (in 2 weeks)...

Looks and sounds like your trip to Italy is going to be a great one.   Am looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Italy looks great but I'm in t'same ole as old wom and know nowt bout baseball

Tommy said...

Great pictures of a place I have never been to.

curleegirlee said...

Those of you blogging from outside the United States and don't know much about baseball are missing out! Baseball is a great sport - tons of fun to play and to watch. It's very popular here in America, and people get very competitive about their favorite teams.

Check out mlb.com to learn more about Major League Baseball here in the U.S.

CaBaCuRl said...

Yep, I another hiding in a hole...I know about baseball ( well....kinda) but wouldn't know one of your players from another! But if he's a bit of a spunk, well, I'm now taking notice!! And the Duomo ...what a magnificent building it truly is!

Leslie: said...

I visited the Duomo in Oct.06 but didn't climb up. We didn't have near enough time there.

mrsnesbitt said...

Phew! I just to say understand football. Cricket......no but now more information here. What a fascinating day it has turned out to be.

PJ said...

I liked the baseball post -- even if I am a Boston Red Sox fan. I'll defnitely give you points for enthusiasm. And then, well, anything Italian, put a fork in me, I'm done!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Thanks for educating me about David Wright and pulling me out of the hole in which I've been living!!

Loved hearing about your Florence trip - what a wonderful treat that must have been for you.