Thursday, August 7, 2008

abc wednesdays - c

So I'm a day late. Only my second week participating in ABC Wednesdays and already I miss it. Oops! Better late than never, I suppose, so here we go...

C is for...
Camels! While I was in Israel, we got the chance to take a short ride on top of a camel. It wasn't exactly the activity I was looking forward to most - sitting on top of a large, smelly animal in the middle of the desert is not exactly my idea of a good time - but it was actually a lot of fun and certainly extremely funny. All of the camels were female, which I thought was pretty interesting. (I believe the people who ran the camel rides said it was because males are too aggressive, but I could be wrong on that one.) I screamed a whole lot, especially getting on and off the camel - they are a lot higher off the ground than it seems! About six or seven camels are all connected together by a flexible, soft harness, and there is a guide for each caravan of camels to lead them along the path. They bend down to eat plants very often and even poop right along the way while you're along for the ride. They weren't the friendliest of animals (or the most comfortable), but they always do look like they are smiling, which just cracked me up. I have to say, it was an interesting, but very memorable experience.
Rachel and I named our camel Susan and we sang a lovely song to her as we trotted through the desert. It went a little something like this: "Susan, I love you. Susan, I love you..." Instant hit. Right to the top of the charts. Just you wait and see.

Matt and Adam named their camel Cecil, which is definitely quite a masculine name for a girl, but hey, it's a "c" so it works. Here is a picture (taken by Jeanine) of the boys looking a lot like lovebirds, in their matching white tees. Cute guys, very cute.

1 comment:

mrsnesbitt said...

Welcome aboard ABC Wednesday. It is now entering it's second year! So great to have you aboard. Please e-mail me and I will add you to my list. Thanks

denise dot nesbitt at bt internet dot com


D